The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies* announced that DePuy Synthes,** The Orthopaedics Company of Johnson & Johnson, will feature new products and technology solutions shaping new standards of care for modern day orthopaedics during the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) annual meeting Aug. 31–Sept. 3 in San Diego. From robotics and more personalized implants to connected instrumentation, advanced imaging and visualization technology, DePuy Synthes will showcase next generation product innovations spanning its VELYS™ Digital Surgery, Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Trauma and Extremities, Spine, Sports Medicine and Power Tools portfolios onsite at Booth #2935.
“We’re excited to engage with the orthopaedic surgeon community at AAOS to address the new demands facing our industry for more personalized and integrated products and services that can enhance the overall surgical experience,” said Aldo Denti, Company Group Chairman for DePuy Synthes***. “Even during the global pandemic, we’ve continued our pursuit of delivering advanced implants, digital solutions and technologies, and clinical and economic evidence to further advance the orthopaedic industry to the next level.”
DePuy Synthes will feature more than 25 new products and technology solutions at AAOS, and offer immersive in-booth virtual reality experiences, as well as an Evidence Corner that will showcase the clinical and economic evidence supporting our products. Key product innovations and solutions to be featured are:
VELYS™ DIGITAL SURGERY
- DePuy Synthes will feature its vision for the future of digital surgery with new technologies and enhancements designed to connect across its VELYS™ Digital Surgery Platform pre-, intra- and post-operatively. Attendees will be able to engage in interactive demonstrations of the VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for total knee arthroplasty, which is commercially available in the U.S. and designed for use with the ATTUNE® Total Knee System. In addition to the in-booth interactive experience at AAOS, DePuy Synthes has launched a Robotic Virtual Experience as an immersive digital platform developed to showcase the VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution in a virtual environment while allowing users to interact with the device in 3D and with 360-degree views. This virtual experience also provides surround sound to highlight the related technologies, products and evidence of the system.
INHANCE™ SHOULDER SYSTEM
- The INHANCE™ Shoulder System is a first-to-market, fully integrated shoulder arthroplasty system designed with a stemless-first surgical approach that aligns with how surgeons approach patient care. The INHANCE Shoulder System is the first system to offer surgeons the ability to seamlessly transition from stemless to stemmed implants during surgical procedures.
ATTUNE® Cementless Fixed Bearing Knee with AFFIXIUM™ 3DP Technology
- Further enhancing our cementless knee offering, the ATTUNE® Cementless Fixed Bearing Knee with AFFIXIUM™ 3DP Technology marks the next generation of ATTUNE Knee implants for a growing population of more active patients for whom biological fixation helps better meet the demands of their active lifestyle. The ATTUNE AFFIXIUM Knee defines a high standard for patient performance, with technology that features an advanced 3D printed-porous structure for enhanced initial implant stability1,2 and promotion of bone ingrowth.3,4
PINNACLE® Dual Mobility Liner
- The PINNACLE® Dual Mobility Liner rounds out the PINNACLE Hip Solutions platform, providing a surgical solution which enhances the stability of hip reconstruction and reduces the risk of hip dislocation through a larger head size and greater range of motion5,6,7. Innovative instrument trials replicate how the dual mobility construct will work in situ, making the PINNACLE Dual Mobility Liner the next evolution of the modular dual mobility solution.
ACTIS® Collarless Hip Stem
- Celebrating five years of clinical use, the ACTIS® Hip Stem was specifically designed to be utilized with tissue sparing approaches, such as the anterior approach, to serve an increasingly diverse patient population and provide efficiencies that help streamline the total hip surgical process. The ACTIS Hip allows for ease of surgical implantation and enhanced implant stability8. A Collarless version of the ACTIS Hip Stem has now received FDA 510(k) clearance and is anticipated to launch in the coming months in the United States.
VELYS Hip Navigation 3.0
- Since the launch of VELYS Hip Navigation in 2018, more than 44,0009 non-invasive, software-navigated total hip arthroplasties have been performed globally, primarily using the anterior approach. To address the needs of surgeons using a posterior approach, DePuy Synthes is introducing a new 3.0 software update that includes new image guidance for ONETRIAL™ Analysis, a feature that enables intraoperative data-driven decision making. Functionality of the 3.0 software utilizes the same x-rays for both supine and lateral positioned hip approaches and the image guidance provides surgeons with feedback on x-ray consistency and c-arm positioning which improves the output of data.
- DePuy Synthes Mitek Sports Medicine recently launched DYNATAPE™ Suture, an innovative advancement in soft tissue repair that may address factors associated with suture laxity**** in rotator cuff repairs. It is currently the only self-tensioning tape product in the U.S. that provides sustained broad and continuous compression for at least 12 weeks.10
UNIUM™ Power System*****
- DePuy Synthes will unveil the newest addition to our Power Tools portfolio, the UNIUM™ System. Designed with a commitment to ergonomics, reliability and efficiency11,12 the UNIUM System offers one platform for use in trauma, sports medicine, spine and cardiothoracic surgery. The modular handpiece and dedicated reciprocating saw are powered by an innovative Power Unit that incorporates a high-capacity Li-Ion battery and Electronic Control Unit, extending the lifespan to help reduce cost of repair and waste.13 The UNIUM System provides confidence and control in both hospital and ASC settings, facilitating complete focus on the patient.14
ADDRESSING AMBULATORY SURGERY CENTERS (ASCs)
- As the fastest-growing setting for orthopaedic care, Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) are helping to create a thriving future for patient care. Attendees can stop by the DePuy Synthes booth to learn more about how the company is addressing the rapidly evolving needs of surgeon-entrepreneurs and ASC administrators by raising the standard of patient satisfaction through the delivery of implants, technologies, and workflow solutions aimed at providing clinical excellence, economic value, and operational support.
TRUMATCH® GRAFT CAGE – LONG BONE AND RIA 2 SYSTEM
- A leader in trauma, DePuy Synthes is committed to developing treatment options for the most difficult to treat cases, such as long bone segmental defects. TRUMATCH® Graft Cage – Long Bone is a patient-specific, 3D-printed, bioresorbable implant that supports the surgical reconstruction of critical-sized segmental defects and is designed to overcome some of the challenges of using the Masquelet (Induced Membrane) Technique. Additionally, the Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator 2 System (RIA 2) improves on over 10 years of proven technology to harvest autologous bone graft in greater volume15, higher quality16,17 and with lower rates of complication18 for the treatment of segmental defects. These products, along with the newly launched Advanced Nailing System, will be on display as part of DePuy Synthes’ comprehensive Trauma portfolio.
SYMPHONY™ OCT System
- The SYMPHONY™ OCT System is designed for patients with complex cervical spine conditions. SYMPHONY OCT System is designed to address procedural needs in four key areas: fixation, alignment, targeting and extensions. The range of instrumentation provides multiple options and is compatible with navigation software that aids in targeting within challenging anatomy.
For more information about DePuy Synthes and these products, visit DePuy Synthes website.
* Comprising the surgery, orthopaedics, vision and interventional solutions businesses within Johnson & Johnson’s Medical Devices segment.
** DePuy Synthes represents the products and services of DePuy Synthes, Inc. and its affiliates.
*** Aldo Denti is an employee of Medical Device Business Services, Inc.
**** Benchtop and animal study data may not necessarily be indicative of clinical performance.
*****Pending US product release. The safety and effectiveness of the product is not established. Not available for sale or commercial use.
- DePuy Synthes. Rationale for height specification of 3DP surface texture. 27 June 2019. SEA 103522524.
- Kane, R; Miltner, N; Smith, B; Tong, W; Initial mechanical stability of additively manufactured pegs in cancellous bone, ORS 2020, Poster # 1772.
- W. Tong, B. Smith, et al. Bone ingrowth of RTT porous structure, ORS 2020 Poster # 0337
- W. Tong, B. English, C. Henderson, R. Kane, B. Smith. RTT Cancellous Bone Ingrowth And Pore Morphometrics, ORS 2021, Poster # 0410.
- DePuy Synthes PINNACLE Dual Mobility Jump Distance Assessment. 12/16/2019. ADAPTIV #103647144. Note: These values are an average based on stems run through the test protocol
- DePuy Synthes PINNACLE DM ROM Analysis. 12/10/2019. ADAPTIV #103642723. Note: These values are an average based on stems run through the test protocol.
- DePuy Synthes PINNACLE DM ROM Analysis All Stems. 3/27/2020. ADAPTIV #103676417. Note: These values are an average based on stems run through the test protocol.
- Hamburg University ACTIS Cadaveric Stability Testing. (Adaptiv #103156243).
- DePuy Synthes Worldwide VHN Case Report. 2018 – 2021.
- DePuy Synthes DYNATAPE™ Suture Approximation Force Report. 3/13/2020. ADAPTIV #103670396.
- DePuy Synthes Power Tools. Design Validation Report 07/2021 Windchill Ref. #0000310897.
- DePuy Synthes Internal Engineering Report 07/2021 Windchill Ref. #0000312221.
- DePuy Synthes Power Tools. Internal Engineering Report 07/2021 Windchill Ref. #0000312309.
- DePuy Synthes Power Tools. Design Validation Report 07/2021 Windchill Ref. #0000310897.
- Dawson J, Kiner D, Gardner W, 2nd, Swafford R, Nowotarski PJ. The reamer-irrigator-aspirator as a device for harvesting bone graft compared with iliac crest bone graft: union rates and complications. J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28(10):584–590.
- Henrich D, Seebach C, Sterlepper E, Tauchmann C, Marzi I, Frank J. RIA reamings and hip aspirate: a comparative evaluation of osteoprogenitor and endothelial progenitor cells. Injury. 2010; 41 Suppl 2:S62-68.
- Sagi HC, Young ML, Gerstenfield L, Einhorn TA, Tornetta P. Qualitative and quantitative differences between bone graft obtained from the medullary canal (with a reamer/irrigator/aspirator) and the iliac crest of the same patient. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94(23):2128-2135.
- Dimitriou R, Mataliotakis GI, Angoules AG, Kanakaris NK , Giannoudis PV. Complications following autologous bone graft harvesting from the iliac crest and using the RIA: a systematic review. Injury. 2011;42-Suppl 2:S3-S15.
Source: DePuy Synthes.